- The technology company’s feature will rate how busy a store is and typical visit duration
- The feature is integrated into its search and map platforms
- The company said it has added the feature to help shoppers navigate “Black Friday swarms”
Google has launched a footfall tracker to allow Black Friday and Christmas shoppers to check how busy a high street store is in real time.
The technology company’s latest service, which is offered as part of its Popular Times feature, will take location data from Google app users to offer shoppers a picture of how many shoppers are in a retail outlet.
Since July last year, the tech giant has offered a prediction of how busy various retail outlets would be based on historical trends, but this is the first time the information will be updated in real time.
The feature is intended to give bargain hunters a snapshot of which stores will be busy and peak shopping times during Black Friday and the run up to Christmas.
Industry experts expect that Black Friday sales will be driven by online this year, but Google said it has launched the feature to enable shoppers to negotiate Black Friday crowds in bricks-and-mortar stores.
Product manager Jamie Aspinall said: “Just in time for the Black Friday swarms, we’re adding a real-time look at how crowded a place is right now, to help you decide where and when to go.
“Whether you’re rushing to pick up a last minute gift or seeking a lively bar for some festive spirit, check Popular Times for a sneak preview of what to expect when you arrive.”
Retail Week Live has gone Black Friday crazy
Deals worth fighting over for the retail event of the year
- Our first ticket of the day is going for just £400 – that’s almost £1,200 off the full price
- The second to sixth tickets are then £550 each
- The next 10 tickets after that are only £700 each
- All other tickets once these are gone are two-for-one
- There are a limited number of tickets at a whopping 30% off
To buy tickets as part of this special limited offer contact
Andrew Falconer Borgars | 020 3033 4247 | Andrew.Falconer-Borgars@emap.com or
Jessica Sobey | 020 3033 2992 | Jessica.Sobey@emap.com or
Samantha Compton | 020 3033 4318 | Samantha.Compton@emap.com
More information and two-for-one tickets can be found at live.retail-week.com
Check out the programme jam packed full of thought leaders, industry trailblazers and even a few renegades. But don’t take too long. This offer is strictly for a limited time.