Overwhelmed by the scope and complexity of the mobile challenge? Akamai reveals how retailers can deliver the mobile experience users expect.
Today’s mobile users have nearly unlimited access to data and information anytime, anywhere. While these users represent a tremendous opportunity for retailers to increase engagement, revenue, and customer loyalty, they also create unprecedented mobile content delivery challenges.
Mobile users are growing
- There are now more global mobile users than global desktop users
- There are 5.2 billion mobile phone users in the world, or nearly three out of every four people on the planet
- This past holiday season, more than half of all users shopped on mobile and tablet devices, an all-time high.
Mobile users are more active
- Mobile users check their phones an average of 221 times per day
- Two-thirds of emails are opened on mobile devices
- Mobile consumers research and buy more frequently than desktop consumers.
Mobile users are more demanding
- More than half of all mobile users expect web pages to load in two seconds or less
- 21% of mobile users expect web pages to load instantly
- 26% of mobile users won’t return to a website where they had a dissatisfying experience on their last visit.
We love mobile. It’s incredibly convenient and provides access to a world of information anytime, anywhere. While great for end users, mobile poses significant challenges to retailers. Why?
The sheer amount of devices, browsers, and operating systems available has resulted in user fragmentation — approximately 24,000 mobile device types (and counting) access Facebook (via Akamai) every day.
“Mobile provides access to a world of information anytime, anywhere”
Location impacts connectivity, and whether it be hardwired, broadband, wi-fi, or cellular networks, each of these connection types present their own distinct challenges. Also, there are multiple deployment options – as a retailer, you know delivering to users has many variables. So, what is the best approach to reach them – a mobile app, mobile site, or a responsive site?
The three keys to mastering mobile
Feeling overwhelmed by the scope and complexity of the mobile delivery challenge?
Don’t worry, Akamai’s mobile mandate ebook delves into these challenges and shares intelligent optimisation techniques that can help you deliver the mobile experience your users expect.
Read this ebook to learn:
- The major delivery challenges for mobile
- When to use mobile sites versus mobile apps
- The business case for ‘mobile first’.