US homewares retailer West Elm is to open its first UK store on Tottenham Court Road next month. Retail Week lifts the lid on the latest US retailer to cross the pond.
- West Elm stocks a wide range from furniture, bedding and bath products to lighting, dinnerware and gifts
- It was founded in 2002 in Brooklyn, New York. The brand introduced its first catalogue in 2002 and opened its first retail store the following year.
- West Elm now has 55 stores in the US, Canada and Australia.
- The London store marks the first European store for parent firm Williams-Sonoma, which operates fascias Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Teen, Pottery Barn Kids, Williams-Sonoma and Williams-Sonoma Home
- The retailer collaborates with independent artists and craft communities to offer products and seasonal collections designed to make a positive impact on people and the environment
- Many West Elm stores include coffee shops, run with coffee roaster La Colombe, as well as communal space for demos, workshops and classes
- Many of its stores feature Design Labs - an area for tips and inspiration on how to design a home. Here staff are on hand to help customers choose colours and even go as far as style a whole home.
- Two years ago West Elm launched its West Elm Market fascia, which focuses on four areas: kitchen, garden, care & repair and personal care. The concept operates as a shop-in-shop across many West Elm stores. There are also four standalone stores.
- Williams-Sonoma reported a 13% increase in profit to $48.9m (£30.4m) for the 13 weeks to August 4 2013. Sales rose 12% to $982.2m (£611m).