Walgreens Boots Alliance revealed yesterday it is launching Boots-branded stores in South Korea in partnership with hypermarket retailer Emart.
Here we look at Emart in more detail:
- Founded in 1993, Emart is South Korea’s largest discount store chain, ahead of Home Plus and Lotte Mart
- It is headquartered in Seoul and was South Korea’s first discount retailer. Its first store opened in Changdong, an area of Seoul
- Emart is a subsidiary of South Korean department store group Shinsegae. It was spun off into a separate business in 2012
- Emart has 157 stores, including 10 of its ‘Traders’ discount warehouse stores. Its online business is called ‘Emart mall’
- It also manages eight stores in China and one in Vietnam
- Emart has this month opened its first store in Mongolia
- Shinsegae acquired all of Walmart’s 16 stores in Korea in 2006, which were subsequently rebranded as Emart stores.