Sainsbury’s splashes out more than £400m on supermarket freeholds


Grocery giant Sainsbury’s has bought the freeholds of 21 supermarkets for £431.5m from Supermarket Income REIT (SIR).

The grocer acquired Supermarket Income REIT’s remaining 51% stake of the stores in the Highbury and Dragon investment vehicles, of which Sainsbury’s owned the remaining 49%. The purchase will be implemented through an acquisition by the supermarket chain of Cornerford Limited, Horndrift Limited, Avenell Property PLC and Hobart Property PLC.

Subscription content

Please sign in now if you have a subscription or are already registered with us.

Retail Week

Register for free to continue reading provides premium, in-depth intelligence that helps retailers judge risks, spot opportunities and identify what they need to do to win in the digital economy.

Register today for a taste of our high-quality intelligence and enjoy:

  • Two free article views per calendar month on
  • Detailed analysis of current trends and events 
  • Exclusive newsletters
  • In-depth reports, videos, interviews and much more

Discover Retail Week register now

Please note, if you have recently purchased a subscription, it may take a few minutes before your account is updated.