Carrefour to buy Brazil’s Grupo Big from Walmart for €1.1bn

Carrefour jpg

Carrefour has struck a deal to buy Brazil’s third-largest food retailer Grupo Big from Walmart for €1.1bn (£950m).

The French supermarket giant, which is already the biggest grocer in Brazil, is funding 70% of the transaction in cash. The remaining 30% will come in the form of new Carrefour Brazil shares.

Carrefour said the acquisition would create annual synergies of around €260m (£224.5m) within three years of the deal completing.

Subscription content

Please sign in now if you have a subscription or are already registered with us.

Retail Week

Register for free to continue reading provides premium, in-depth intelligence that helps retailers judge risks, spot opportunities and identify what they need to do to win in the digital economy.

Register today for a taste of our high-quality intelligence and enjoy:

  • Two free article views per calendar month on
  • Detailed analysis of current trends and events 
  • Exclusive newsletters
  • In-depth reports, videos, interviews and much more

Discover Retail Week register now

Please note, if you have recently purchased a subscription, it may take a few minutes before your account is updated.