Lord Kirkham is founder of DFS and Iceland investor.
Previously my political comment has been restricted to the odd jibe at “who ate all the pies” Prescott, Mr Nasty Piece-of-Work Gordon, my coalition colleagues Wishy-Washy and Flip-Floppy Nick.
I bought shares in Sainsbury’s, Next and Marks & Spencer last month, tangibly supporting my conviction.
In retailing, there is certainly no shortage of swivel-eyed doom merchants sowing the dismal seeds of highly contagious doubt - and right now feels like high season.
- Comment: Retailers must stay sharp and alert to succeed
- Comment: Retail today is web, web, web
- Comment: The UK still offers investment opportunities
- Diamond Jubilee: A PR campaign to remember
- Go beyond the spin to focus on products and service
- Key to success is making friends
- Tough times in retailing create opportunities