John Ryan is Stores Editor at Retail Week.
He has worked for the magazine for more than a decade and covers store design, visual merchandising and what makes things sell in-store - across every area of retail. In a previous life he spent 15 years as an international buyer for a major European retailer and was latterly based in Dusseldorf.As well as writing about stores he talks about them and in the last year has delivered presentations in locations as diverse as London, Santiago, Paris, Berlin, Vancouver, San Francisco, New York and, erm, Basingstoke. And for those who are interested in such things, he is a twitter devotee - please follow!
- Tel: +44 (0)20 3033 2997
- E-mail: email@example.com
Next’s interpretation of big-box retailing on the Longwater retail park in Norwich shows edge-of-town development at its best.
Baracuta is one of the major names that has long been associated with the Harrington jacket, the article of clothing beloved by Mods.
It’s been a year since Tesco boss Dave Lewis instigated a store revamp programme at the grocer. Has it paid dividends?
The new Jigsaw store in Aberdeen takes inspiration from its surroundings to offer an experience that stands out from the retailer’s estate.
Craft beer specialist BrewDog has opened a retail store in London called Bottledog that stocks hundreds of beer varieties and brands.
Some grocers are rushing to open a c-store on every street corner, but retail is a sector of many parts and big shops still matter.
The clear-cut definition that used to surround the word ‘flagship’ has expanded and can now be applied to a wider variety of contexts.
Decorated to evoke an adventure playground, 9¾ Bookshop & Café in the Colombian city of Medellin appeals to adults as much as children.
Morrisons was late to the c-store party and may have been the architect of its own misfortune as regards its convenience sector foray.
With a mix of technology and brightly coloured graphics, Rose Biketown is a world away from what two-wheel enthusiasts would expect.
- Store gallery: How Waitrose is refining its big-box offer
- Store of the week: Target's internet of things connected home in San Francisco
- Comment: A toast to the Waitrose wine bar drawing in supermarket shoppers
- Watch: A tour of Waitrose's latest store design in Horsham
- Store gallery: Harvey Nichols revamp brings 5-star opulence to Birmingham
- Comment: Does Harvey Nichols' Birmingham revamp 'surprise and delight'?
- Store gallery: The summer visual merchandising heating up London's West End
- Watch: Harvey Nichols’ radical overhaul of its Birmingham store
- Store of the Week: T2 brews a beautiful launch on Regent Street
- Comment: Hosting pop-ups is the way forward for retailers and brands alike