Alex Lawson is Senior Reporter at Retail Week.
Alex joined the news desk in November 2011 covering grocery retail – the cornerstone of the UK retail scene.
Before that he held the position of News Editor at the Fresh Produce Journal for three years following a stint working for several arts and culture magazines in Prague, Czech Republic.
Alex’s interests include new supermarket formats, management changes and international expansion.
- Tel: +44 (0)20 3033 2841
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
George at Asda has promoted the grocer’s director of merchandising Nick Bailey to lead its overseas offensive.
Asda has revamped the homepage of its website and launched a tablet-optimised site to capitalise on digital shoppers on the move.
Sales at jeweller H Samuel fell 10.5% in the first quarter to $71.7m after the retailer slimmed down its store estate.
- Halfords full-year results: What the analysts say
- In pictures: Whiteley shopping centre opens its doors
- Halfords unveils £100m investment plan after profits slump
- Mothercare full-year like-for-likes fall 3.6% as UK losses narrow
- Analysis: Ocado deal gives Morrisons online offer a jump-start
- Retailers to invest £5bn in omnichannel in next five years
- UK has the highest business rates bill across EU, says report
The buzz of John Lewis Partnership’s results day is one of the most iconic days in the retail calendar and its usual vibrancy had added spice yesterday.
Iceland boss Malcolm Walker claimed a victory in the battle for grocery spend this week as the tussle to compare figures has left the industry confounded.
Morrisons chief executive Dalton Philips was on good form this week touring journalists round its Camden store.
- Blog: Walker's craic makes him top o’ the grocers…
- Blog: Retirement suits relaxed Peter Marks
- Blog: Asda's Andy Clarke is a good sport