Victorinox, which produces an eclectic range of products including knives, timepieces, travel gear and men's and women's fashions, has acquired a 4,500 sq ft unit at 95/96 New Bond Street, close to the junction with Oxford Street.
The store will trade over three floors, with the largest, the ground floor, housing men's fashion, timepieces and fragrances. The first floor will be dedicated to women's fashion, while the lower ground floor will be given over to travel goods, professional cutlery and multi-tools.
The building, previously occupied by fashion and fragrance brand Bernini, will also house a dedicated showroom and offices for the brand. Terms have not been disclosed by an annual rent of£440,000 was being asked for the three floors on a new 15-year lease. The store is being refurbished with what the company calls a "modern, urban and contemporary" interior and is due to reopen in October.
Founded in 1884, Victorinox was set up as a cutler's business by founder Karl Elsener in the Swiss town of Ibach. Shortly afterwards Elsener went on to design the original Swiss Army Knife.
While Bond Street is renowned as the home of luxury brands in London, the top end of New Bond Street has suffered in recent years from empty units and obscure brands occupying the stores. However, it is home to some strong brands, such as Reiss and Timberland, and benefitting from the efforts of the New West End Company to breathe new life into the area's main shopping streets.
Cushman & Wakefield and Ian Scott & Co were letting agents.