BRC director-general Kevin Hawkins said: 'For many it will be an important family day, but it is also another important date in the retail calendar because special days and events usually bring more people onto the high street looking for the right gift. With trading currently so tough for many retailers, they will no doubt be looking at days such as Father's Day as an opportunity to stand out from the crowd and boost sales.'
- Father's Day is worth approximately£1 billion to the retail sector, compared with Mother's Day at about£1.3 billion
- An estimated 32 million Father's Day cards will be sent
- On average, people will spend£29 on their dad.
- About£563 million will be spent on clothing such as socks, shirts and ties
- About£198 million will be spent on tools, appliances and DIY goods
- About£184 million will be spent on CDs, DVDs and books
- About£58 million will be spent on sporting goods
- About£39 million will be spent on gadgets and computer accessories