Etailier giant Amazon has released its first report into UK consumer trends and the top selling items of 2015 so far.
The report, available here, covers fast-growing categories for the retailer such as home, beauty and fashion. Popular items over the last seven months include an allotment gift set and grey hair dye.
Amazon said it will release another report after Christmas to highlight the best selling products during the festive season.
Speculation continues to mount that the US-headquartered etailer is gearing up to launch its grocery service ‘Fresh’ in the UK.
Here are this year’s sales trends so far:
- Sales of pet care products rose at the beginning of the year, marking a 50% year-on-year increase
- Best selling products included treats, grooming products and organic dog food
- Healthy living guide ‘Deliciously Ella: Awesome ingredients, incredible food that you and your body will love’ by Ella Woodward broke Amazon’s record for the most pre-orders for a food and drink title
- It is the number one book sold in 2015 so far
- The book led the trend for healthy eating, with other titles such as Amelia Freer’s Eat. Nourish.
- March saw the traditional sewing kit make a comeback, it coincided with the third series of The Great British Sewing Bee on BBC Two
- Sales of embroidery hoops, sewing machines and dressmaker pins rose 265%, 130% and 110% respectively
- Indoor gardening equipment was a popular purchase in the month
- London residents were the consumer group most likely to take up urban gardening
- Sales of indoor allotment sets and ceiling-hanging pots were increased 950% and 370% respectively
- The celebrity beauty trend for silver hair led to an 83% increase in sales of grey hair dye
- Rainbow Hair Color Cream was the most purchased brand, with sales up by 200%
- There was also a rise in grey hair dye for men
- Self-tan sales rose in June
- A few brands dominated the market, most notably sales of Hawaiin Tropic Tanning Oil were up 1,050% year on year
- Shoppers marked the start of the festival season by stocking up on camping equipment
- This year luxurious products were notably more popular, camping pillows and queen-sized airbed sales rose 1,000% and 600% year on year respectively